Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Review: Summer of Secrets

Summer of Secrets Summer of Secrets by Charlotte Hubbard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Book Summary>
Summer of Secrets

Welcome to Willow Ridge, Missouri! In this cozy Amish town along the banks of the river, the Old Ways are celebrated at the Sweet Seasons Bakery Café, and love is a gift God gives with grace. . .

Summer Of Secrets

Summer has come to Willow Ridge, but Rachel Lantz is looking forward to a whole new season in her life--marriage to strapping carpenter Micah Brenneman, her childhood sweetheart. When a strange Englischer arrives in the café claiming to be the long-lost sister of Rachel and her twin Rhoda, Rachel feels the sturdy foundation of her future crumbling--including Micah's steadfast love. As the days heat up and tempers flare, Rachel and Micah will learn that even when God's plan isn't clear, it will always lead them back to each other. . .

My Review

It's no secret that I love Amish stories but they can seem to be the same ole same ole. This was not the case with this book. I thought the author did a great job with building the story from start to finish. I was really caught up in the story of Tiffany but the supporting stories were just as good. The author did a great job of bringing the English and Amish together and weaving the stories around the two cultures. The stories were well developed and the characters were believeable. When Miriam and the Bishop had their disagreement, I was really rooting for Miriam. And I had to smile at Rachel's overreactions when it came to Micah. The details were great and really helped me to imagine the scenes. I look forward to reading more books in this series.

From a Christian Perspective
I thought this book was a good example of Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."


There were so many ways that Miriam could have gone when challenged by the Bishop but she chose to obey God. Also, Micah felt the Lord was calling him to reach out to Tiffany, and he listened to the Lord even knowing it could draw the Bishop's anger. I think they both exemplified what it means to lay down our life and receive the Lord's will. I thought there were many other examples in the book but these stood out for me.

Love and Blessings
Margaret


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!