Thursday, November 5, 2015

Review: Once Upon a Summer

Once Upon a Summer Once Upon a Summer by Janette Oke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Book Summary from Amazon

Josh Jones realizes his family isn't typical, but it's the only life he's ever known. Aunt Lou, Gramps, Uncle Charlie, Grandpa--they all have shaped the young man he has become. But as he grows into manhood, Josh begins to face important questions about life, love, and faith.

My Review

I enjoyed this historical fiction book. The story is told from the point of view of Josh, who is a young man that lives on a farm. Josh was a very likable boy and I fell in love with him and his spirit. Being a young man, Josh faced a lot of uncertainties and was a little bit loss. Thankfully Aunt Lou, Grandpa, Uncle Charlie and later Gramps were there to help him grow and shape him as a young man. I really enjoyed how this story was just about family and how in times of trial, they work together and become stronger. Throughout the book, I could tell how important each member of this family was to the other. I loved that even the men showed emotion and love in tangible ways. Definitely a nice, sweet read and I look forward to reading more in the series.

From a Christian Perspective

This book falls under the Christian fiction genre. Throughout the book, Josh is fighting with God, seeing Him as an enemy rather than an ally. He has that selfish outlook that many of us have when we forget about grace and look at God as only a giver. As I read the book, I recognized some of Josh's struggles as my own. In the end, Preacher Nat helps Josh to find his way to Christ and freedom from all of the anger and hurt. As Josh wept and confessed, he released those burdens that were weighing him down. He finally experienced the rest Jesus told us about in Matthew 11:28: Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

This was a book in my personal collection. I was not compensated to provide a positive review.

Love and Blessings!
Margaret

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful comment, it means a lot to me!